WHAT IS WARP
WARP is a visual arts platform that originated in 2006 and is based in Sint-Niklaas. We operate in the Waasland region. WARP is an acronym that stands for: Waasland Artistic Projects. The verb 'warping' refers to the creative transformation of an environment from a certain starting point.
Focussing on talent development enables us to establish long-term relationships with artists tied to a broad range of projects. This results in all kinds of collaborations and exhibitions with mainly new productions. Revealing, presenting, promoting and referencing contemporary art is a core part of our organisation.
A broad international scope establishes a stimulating frame of reference and provides our local footprint with continuous and challenging impulses. Our relationship with artists and partners including Frans Masereel Centrum Kasterlee; 0090 Antwerpen; Beeldenstorm-Daglicht Eindhoven; Firestation Dublin, Temple Bar Studios Dublin, StudioOne & Schleife 18 Vienna have led to artistic projects in Antwerp, Bruges, Dublin, Eindhoven, Ghent, Kasterlee, London and Vienna.
WHAT DO WE DO
- We have an abundant annual programme including exhibitions, lectures, artist talks and receptive activities.
- The major triennial exhibition tour 'Coup de Ville' (2010, 2013, 2016) where the urban fabric of Sint-Niklaas with its various locations is the inspiration for the creation of new, usually site-specific, works of art.
- As of April 2017 we have a new exhibition space: our K1 showcase, focused on highlighting young artists.
- Portfolio or reflection days for artists and Artist Villages. We help artists. When organizing exhibitions, we received requests concerning helping artists in the development of their professional careers through feedback on their work and by broadening their professional contacts.
- Extra Muros projects: WARP also regularly exhibits jointly with partners. In 2017 WARP was a guest at Krinzinger Projekte in Vienna, in 2018 again at Beeldenstorm / Daglicht in Eindhoven, which included both an exhibition and an Artist Village or portfolio day.
- Several publications are created as a result of various exhibitions and projects.
- Management of the integrated works in the house of Jan Buytaert, acquired through various projects and Coup de Villes.
Arts platform WARP organizes its activities at the house of Jan Buytaert, which it also owns, on the Apostelstraat 20 in Sint-Niklaas. The inheritance of artist Jan Buytaert (1939- 2011) bestows the management of this 19th century mansion with garden (1000m²) and his artworks, right in the centre of Sint-Niklaas, on WARP. The house has already received several thorough renovations in order to create a fully-fledged exhibition space including areas for lectures and support activities. Read more about the life and work of Jan Buytaert. The location can also be rented for private activities.
9100 Sint-Niklaas (Belgium)
From the Stationsplein, take a left through the Stationsstraat to the Grote Markt. Continue your way to the left of Grote Markt for about 150 m. At the square, turn left between the Cipierage and the Oude Post to the Apostelplein, which becomes the Apostelstraat as you continue. WARP is located at number 20.
From the E17 highway you can enter Sint-Niklaas along the Parklaan
Parking options (not free)
Grote Markt, underground car park: is 150 meters away from WARP
Zwijgershoek: open air car park (follow the signs from the Grote Markt): 500 meters from WARP
Hendrik Heymanplein: bus parking spaces
Attention: WARP is located in a traffic-free zone. Loading and unloading at the door is only possible between 9 am and 11 am or by appointment.
WARP consists of a small operational core - surrounded by numerous volunteers from different backgrounds with a wide variety of talents. They provide our organization with a broad, cross-generational and extremely diverse social basis. Our operation is only possible thanks to their efforts. WARP’s very existence is thanks to the commitment of our volunteers!
Artistic director: Stef Van Bellingen
General Coordination: Laureline Soubry
Administration: Anne Vanraes
Permanent volunteers: Luc Barbier, Albert Beirnaert, Helga Collyn, Alessandra De Mulder, Eline Gautot, Abdou Gueye, Jacques Jadot, Abdullah Kazara, Souhaila Maalem, Jelle Meys, Kapinga Muela Kabeya, François Speleman, Joël Schuurmans, Marcel Szczutkowski, Charlot Vael, Judith Van Bellingen, Jordy Van Bogaert, Simon Van Geert and many others.
Members of the Board: Wim De Cuyper (chairman), Thérèse De Buck, Ronny De Mulder, Faryda Moumouh, Luk Van Meervenne, Wim Viaene
E-mail us, write us or drop by.
We are present every Friday or by appointment.
9100 Sint-Niklaas (Belgium)
Company and VAT number : BE0479 060 927
Bank account number: BE48 7330 3601 5827 (KREDBEBB)
Privacy: We keep track of the names and e-mail addresses of our members and subscribers of the newsletter. These data are only used by WARP to communicate you about our activities. You can ask us at any moment to inform you about your data via email@example.com.
BECOME A MEMBER
“Art is not necessary in order to survive but art is here to uncover a different quality of our existence.”
Express your sympathy for us by donating!
Would you like to contribute to our mission and the further expansion of WARP?
Become a member via this form.
Membership is valid for one year and includes discounts on all activities. Becoming a member supports WARP’s artistic operations.